Returning Visitors: What's new?
7th July 2010: Release of Portable Applications for Windows® on (8GB) USB Key v10.07
- Portable versions of over 55 applications including OpenOffice.org (OOo), Firefox, Thunderbird and GIMP
- Use your own programs on any computer with a USB port
- No installation
- Very easy to use
7th July 2010: Release of the 8daysaweek CD for Mac OS® (Intel) v10.07.
2nd July 2010: Release of the 8daysaweek CD for Windows® v10.07b
This release includes OpenOffice.org 3.2.1.
This is a so-called micro release that comes with bugfixes and improvements, with no new features being
introduced. This release also fixes security issues, so we recommend everyone to upgrade to the new
version as soon as possible.
This version is also the first one to be released with the project's new main sponsor, Oracle, and comes with a refreshed logo and splash screen.
14th June 2010: Additional Stock of K/Ubuntu Pressed CDs
Easy Installers for more programs on the 8daysaweek CD for Windows®
The 8daysaweek CD for Windows includes a custom installer for OOo, making it quick and simple to install. Although all the software is already simple to install, more easy installers for other programs on the disc will be coming soon.
8daysaweek DVD for Windows®
We've been finding programs we'd like to include on the CD, but running out of
We are currently working on an '8daysaweek DVD for Windows®', which will include the applications already available on the 8daysaweek CD for Windows®, plus even more high quality open source and freeware programs.
Other DVDs are also planned for release soon.
When will the next release of [an 8daysaweek item] be?
As release dates have a habit of "slipping" - not ours but those of some of the projects we monitor ;-) - and some projects have a policy of not publishing dates ("It'll be released when it's ready") we don't publish release dates. However, you can get notification whenever we release a new version of one of our items (see below).
OpenOffice & Open Source News
11/2/10: OpenOffice.org 3.2 was released today. This is a significant new release with many new features, including:
- faster start up times
- improved compatibility with open standard (ODF) and proprietary file formats
- improvements to all components, particularly the Calc spreadsheet, with over a dozen new or enhanced features
- easier to use Chart module and new chart types
A full guide to new features is available at here.
Up to date information on OOo Security Vulnerabilities
The OpenOffice.org Security Team publishes details of security vulnerabilities in their Security Bulletin on the OpenOffice.org web site. These alerts will now also be published via a dedicated mailing list. For more information see: www.openoffice.org/security/faq.html
We keep an eye on all the latest versions of the programs included on our discs, so you don't have to. We always include the most recent release of a program, unless we are aware of any bugs that have found their way in!
The most recent version numbers of all our items are shown in our Shop (Shift + Refresh to ensure your viewing the most up-to-date screen).
For more information about a specific release, please visit the Announcements / Releases / News forum.
How can I get updated when a new version is released?
A variety of ways:
- Subscribe to our Mailing List
- "Watch" the related topic on our forums
- the topics are all referenced on each item description page, and can be seen in the Announcements / Releases / News forum
- you'll need to visit the forums when you receive a notification email in order to get future reminders about new releases
- Install the Update Scanner add-on for Firefox and set to check our Homepage
What are the most recent changes to the website?
- The 8daysaweek website has been completely overhauled. We hope you like our new look.
- Featured program - we will regularly be featuring a high quality open source or freeware program that we like. You can find the current featured program from the links menu on the left hand side of our home page: